Requirements for Validation for a Foreign Licence and Class/Type Ratings –
Applicant must email a request directly to CAA in order to apply for a license number. At present, there is no fee for this.
Amanda Haverkamp – HaverkampAm@caa.co.za
Include the following documentation.:
- A copy of your valid foreign license
- A copy of your valid foreign medical
- A Copy of valid Passport
- A motivational letter requesting a South African license number in order to write the exams for a SA Validation.
- Last 3 pages of the logbook including a dated 12-month flight Summary.
SACAA will request Verification with Foreign Authorities
Verifying the Application with the Foreign Governing Body/CAA and this process may take
2 weeks – 6 months depending on their response. Once the SACAA sends you an email confirming the license number, you can proceed and book the required examinations.
Step 3 (Please contact Civil Aviation Assist to assist from here)
Submit the following documentation to Civil Aviation Assist
1.1) Forms: CA61-01.13 (Original)
1.2) Copies (Original Certified by Commissioner of Oath on each page):
- Valid Foreign Licence (Indicating Class/Type Ratings and Language Proficiency)
- Valid original RSA Medical/Original Certified Copy a Foreign Medical
- Logbook Copies of the last 3 pages & 12 Month Summary (Incl. Test Entry Endorsement of the last Revalidation of his/her Licence, Endorsement of all Class/Type Ratings/Instrument Ratings)
(Electronic Logbooks must be initialed by the applicant on each page)
1.3) 2 Passport Photos
1.4) Letter of Request for Type/Class Ratings to be transferred (If required)
1.5) Initial Fee for SACAA
- PPL – 670.00
- CPL – R720.00
- ATPL – R780.00
1.6) Logbook must be endorsed and a 12 Month summery must be done. True certified copies of the endorsement, summary and flight entry (last 3 pages must be submitted). The endorsement page must be from the back of the logbook and also certified by a Commissioner.
New Requirement – Dated Summary of Hours Flown the last 12 Months …01/11/2018 – 30/11/2019 – Dates must be indicated as the last 12 months “From- To Date”)
Grand Total Hours: …
Above Mentioned Documents must be submitted with the SACAA in order for the SACAA to issue your Validation license. In the event of the Maintenance of Competency maintained e.g. Medical Validity and Instrument Rating (if required), a 5-year Validation will be granted.
1.7) SACAA Verification approval, copy of the email.
Step 4 Write Examinations
- VFR – Air Law (PPL/CPL)
- IFR – Air Law and Procedures (ATPL)
- If an Instrument Rating is required as part of the license (PPL/CPL) then Air Law and
The following requirements will then be approved by a CFI at a registered ATO and it will be the applicant and Instructors responsibility to comply with the regulation.
- Initial Skills test (Original) must be initiated and filed at the Aviation Training Academy.